The TX-1 models of Digital Instruments are used to measure tension(s) on fine wires and filaments, where tensions do not exceed 5,000 grams. Utilized extensively in major wire, textile, coil winding, EDM, fiber optic, and synthetic materials manufacturing and testing environments. TX-1 instruments are pre-programmed with an extensive selection of wire and filament sizes. Custom calibrations, depending on material, are available for wire diameters up to 20 AWG (.0320").
The TX-1 series of Tension Meters was designed to check tensions of all wire or yarn preparatory operations, fiber optics, film, tape, narrow fabrics and flat materials. The contact elements are recessed into the trigger shield which effectively stops material from catching and breaking behind the rollers. These instruments are accurate in any position the meter is used in.
First select your material and its size. Then squeeze the trigger to separate the rollers. Insert the material against the trigger shield between the contact elements and slowly release the trigger. Your material drops automatically in place and readings will appear on the display.
COLOR DISPLAY / OPERATOR INTERFACE:
- Battery Charge level
- Selectable Tension in Grams, Newtons or Lbs
- Active, color changing Bar Graph
- Select Material and Size. Instrument automatically adjusts the calibration
- Minimum and Maximum values
- Large, easy to read backlit, color display with adjustable backlighting.
- Display shows tension, name of material selected, minimum and maximum tension values, dynamic color bar graph indicating changing tensions and battery charge level
- Select tension values to display in Grams, lbs, Newtons or cN (cN only available on TX-125-1-series instruments)
- Instruments come with calibrations for numerous wires and filaments
- Up to 10 additional custom calibrations may be programmed into the instrument
- Extremely accurate custom calibration procedure employing up to a 10-point multilinearization procedure.
- All calibrations are password protected
- Choose your calibration by first highlighting and selecting the material (Wire, Filaments or Custom). Next define material size using choices such as AWG, Inches or mm and push “Enter”. The instrument automatically adjusts to the calibration you’ve selected with a full-scale accuracy of +/- 1%. Note: Full-scale accuracy for custom calibrations is material specific.
- Adjustable LCD refresh rates allowing for stable, digital readouts
- Automatic shutoff after several minutes of non-use
- Instruments may be operated continuously while connected to power supply
- Data Logging Feature. Select either Continuous or Single Point data logging mode and record tension or speed (optional) values to the instrument memory.
- Data Statistics: Monitor your process by viewing count, maximum, minimum, average, and standard deviation values of your logged data.
- Set-Point feature allowing user to define high and low point specifications which are then shown on the main display as an active, color changing bar graph.
- Rechargeable NiMH batteries with power supply provided. Approximately 12 hours of continuous use depending upon backlighting intensity.
- Power supply operates with input voltages from 100 – 240V and includes several, interchangeable adapters allowing use with European, Australian, US, English and other plug configurations.
- Optional features including: Custom Rollers, Speed and Length monitoring, Analog Output and Serial Output
- Optional magnetic or rigid Mounting Bracket
- All models typically available from stock
- Numerous application specific models available
- Durable, lightweight carrying case with protective foam inserts
- All instruments factory-calibrated and ready for use. Calibration certificate included and all calibration values traceable to National Standards.
Data Logging, Averaging and Statistics
- Data Averaging: This feature is valuable when your process has short duration high and low "spikes" in tension and a dampened average of those spikes is more representative of the process. This feature allows the user to select the duration the instrument takes tension readings over and posts that average to the display. Duration options are: 1, 2, 5 and 10 seconds. This is a rolling average, meaning that all of the readings taken in the previous 1, 2, 5 or 10 seconds (your choice) will be averaged and displayed. See the video for a before and after demonstration of the Data Averaging feature at work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ebmC-qyONc
- Data Statistics: Monitor and assist in Process Control by capturing hundreds of data points and either download the data or use the onscreen display to show Count, Average, Standard Deviation, Maximum and Minimum values.
Standard TX-1 Instruments:
|#||Model||Description||Accuracy Full Scale||Range in Grams|
V-Groove Rollers with tension values selectable in cN, grams or lbs
V-Groove Rollers with tension values selectable in Newtons, grams or lbs
V-Groove Rollers with tension values selectable in Newtons, grams or lbs
|1||TX-5EDM-1||For use with EDM wire Machines||1%||50-5000|
Yarn: As a guideline for estimating yarn tension, assume tension of .15 to .35 grams per denier. For example, for rayon yarn, 100 denier 40 filament, expected tension would be between 15 and 35 grams. Tension will vary according to the material of the yarn and its number of filaments (e.g. nylon may require a lower tension while cotton may permit higher tension).
To continuously monitor tensions consider these options:
Available options and accessories for all TX-1 instruments:
|Option / P.N.||Description|
|-E||RS-232 Serial Output option, Provided with 10’ cable with DB-9 connector to interface with your receiving device. USB to DB9 adapter available on request. Select data sampling rate from 1, 2 or 5 Hz|
|-R||Custom Roller Option, Choose from numerous sizes of cylindrical, flanged or U-shaped rollers.|
|-S||Speed and Length Option, Indicate real-time speed in FPM or MPM. Maximum measurable speed is 9,999 FPM or 9,999 meters per minute, however line speeds in excess of 2,000 FPM are generally unsafe for hand-held applications. Read length of measuring up to 9,999 meters.|
|TX-350||Meter Mounting Bracket, TX Series|
Power Supply, digital instruments (with interchangeable adapters)
Serial Output Note: Your receiving device will require a "software wedge" in order to upload data from the instrument and there are many of these programs to choose from. (If you require a "software wedge" program there is "freeware" software available as long as it is not used in countries with encryption restrictions [US, Europe and Canada are fine] and usually this "freeware" does not need to be installed to operate.)
METER MOUNTING BRACKET
All Trigger Tension Meters can be mounted in a fixed position for in-line tension monitoring by means of a mounting bracket which is sold separately. The mounting bracket allows either intermittent or continuous readings, as required. See above, Options and Accessories for PN and pricing.
Tensitron calibrates instruments using the “free hanging weight” method. This means that we vertically suspend an accurately-sized material, attach a NIST-certified weight to the bottom of it, engage the instrument on the material, and the tension reading on the instrument will correspond to the amount of the weight. If you require a different calibration method, please contact Tensitron.
To verify the accuracy of your Tensitron meter, use the “free hanging weight” method as a standard rather than comparing your meter’s readings to those of another gauge. Also do not use a tensioning device that converts rotational torque into tension values, and do not simulate tension using a calibration bar, because these systems are often inaccurate and may damage your meter. If you need assistance, please refer to your meter’s Operating Instructions or contact Tensitron.
- SIze (All models without Cylindrical Roller Option): 7.10" L x 2.31" W x 3.17" Thk
- SIze (All models with Cylindrical Roller Option): 7.10" L x 2.31" W x 3.50" Thk
- Approximate weight .75 lbs (14 oz.) depending upon configuration
- provided with durable, lightweight carrying case with protective foam inserts
- FCC certification